Summary Lesson 10: “This Is My Voice Unto All”
- A VOICE OF CHEER: Just about every time the heavens open, those with the Lord’s spirit are brought up to greater “cheer.” To those, the Lord’s voice is comforting. “For he is our God; and we are the people of his pasture, and the sheep of his hand . . . if ye will hear his voice . . .” (Psalm 95:7)
- GATHERING AND REMEMBERING: On one hand, the Jews, without consciously knowing the Lord, are making an exodus from the far-flung reaches of the world and are being gathered home. On the other hand, throughout the world, Latter-day Saints are making an exodus from not-knowing-the-Lord and are being gathered to an eternal home. They are striving to remember and follow the modern prophets who, like the ancient prophets, led them to know the Lord.
- WHO WILL FORGET? There is a mistaken idea that if one truly repents and truly forgives, he will forget. Apparently, we need to remember, because it is from our memory of good and bad that we learn. As we remember our sins and the sins of our forefathers, we can prevent ourselves from repeating the same mistakes. “. . .. for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.” (Jeremiah 31:33-34)
- TOOLS OF MEMORY: To this day, Jews are counseled to place a “Mezuzah” on their door posts and on their gates so that in all their comings and goings they may remember the Lord. (Deuteronomy 6 : 4–9; 11:13–21) In the Book of Mormon, the functional Liahona led the righteous descendants of Lehi. In the Bible, the cloud and pillar (as well as the raised serpent) was a reminder that God would lead Israel through the wilderness.
- SERVE GOD WITH BODY AND SOUL: “A person’s soul is that part of him that loves God . . . and wants to be like Him, and a person’s body is the physical container of his soul on earth. Thus the physical actions of man are sanctified. This applies to all the physical aspects of life: even sex when it is practiced in the proper framework, marriage, is in accordance with the will of God and is a mitzvah. “The regulations concerning sexual relations between husband and wife (termed . . . ‘family purity’), constitute another integral component of the laws of purity which still apply today.” (Encyclopedia Judaica Jr.)
- LASTING JOY AND GOOD CHEER: Latter-day Saint doctrine is more definitive in that any sexual contact or activity with any body, including your own body, that leads to improper sexual emotions is simply unwarranted. Lasting joy and genuine good cheer comes from a healthy life which includes spiritual, emotional and physical health. “And inasmuch as ye do these things with thanksgiving, with cheerful hearts and countenances, not with much laughter, for this is sin, but with a glad heart and a cheerful countenance . . .” (Doctrine & Covenants 59:15)
- COMFORT FROM HEAVEN: When angels appeared to frightened shepherds on the hills of Bethlehem, the message was joyful and comforting. In the New Testament, another unnerving and frightful experience turned into a message of good cheer. On a stormy see of Galilee, the Apostles faced what they supposed was a spirit. “But straightway Jesus spake unto them, saying, Be of good cheer; it is I; be not afraid.” (Matthew 14:27:33)